Saturday, December 15, 2007

1st Day in Deutschland



We made it to Germany. All three flights went well. During a security check in London, Herr Grünberg and I were both asked to walk through an extra security check. We had to individually stand in a machine that shoots bursts of air. I thaught it was pretty cool. I giggled through the whole process. Then our backpack was singled out to be searched after it went through the x-ray machine. I was surprised because it only had books and toys for the children. They asked Herr Grünberg if we had any liquids. He said, “No.” The lady looked at him a little funny and asked again. He had forgotten that the children had been given a can of apple juice on the last flight and hadn`t opened it. It was in their backback. We had to take it out and turn it over to security. The current rules are that you may not take more than 3 ounces of any liquids. Oops. Sorry.
Time Change: We are trying to get used to the time change. We were so tired that we went to bed at 5:00 PM Friday. (This is 8:00 AM Friday California time and we hadn´t slept yet.) The kids woke up at 9:00 PM, 1:30 AM, 4:30 AM. Finally, I told them they could get up. It seemed even earlier because the sun rises so late here in the North in winter. Sun rise was 8:33AM and set shortly before 4:00PM.
Today, Saturday, we went to the weekend market. There are stands that sell produce, flowers, eggs, meat and poultry, clothing and food. I am always amazed at the beautiful selection of flowers at the weekend market. Flowers are also more affordable here. We bought cups of hot chocolate and looked around. They don`t use disposable cups very often here. We were served our cocoa in mugs that had to be returned. In the afternoon, we drove to a nearby town to see the “Christmas Market.” It was a lot of fun. They had Christmas trees, booths with ornaments, food, pony rides etc. The children had hot spiced juice, Bratwurst, and dessert waffles with powdered suger. Santa even made an apearance and gave all the children a bag of Schokolade. I tryed to stay near on of the fire pits because it was a little chilly. The weather is a little colder than home, but not as cold as I had feared. It has been overcast. This weather pattern should hold a few days.

2 comments:

Tommy said...

wow thats a long trip iv done it from san fransico to london then dove to banbury for 2 hrs and there 8 hrs ahead

bob said...

sadie and the rest of us are well.if you clip the hair under her tail you wont get big brown gooie globs of you know what under her you know where.you plants are watered.grandma is scarfing down the dau food.stop laughing about the dog because i didnt find it untill she was sitting onyour van seat on the way to your house. my turn ha ha