Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas Markets










We have been to several Christmas Markets. This one is in Neumünster, a city about 20 minutes north of our town. Mrs. Harper lived here as an exchange student. Isn't that a coincidence? We came here to do some last minute Christmas shopping. (Herr Grünberg's home town is small and has limited shopping.) The Christmas Market was located on the main shopping street. This market offered more services rather than merchandise. Booths mostly included food, beverages and some rides for children. Most stands are cute wooden structures decorated with lights and wreaths. I was surprised to find a little skating ring set up in the middle of the booths. (picture above) My sister-in-law Heike is ordering a fresh crepes in the picture below.









This Market is in Aachen. The market here also had food, but was much larger and full of Christmas ornaments and other goodies. I found some wooden ornaments and a "Frohe Weihnachten" decoration within my price range. I was excited because 1. Everything is usually expensive and 2. Many decorations are still in English. The children got to ride the carousel and we finished the day with a 1/2 meter Bratwurst.

2 comments:

Greg E. said...

Bratwurst. Wow! Serious hot dog. I checked it out on wikipedia...A bratwurst (pronounced: [ˈbraːtvʊɐst] (help·info)) is a sausage composed of pork, beef, and sometimes veal. The name is German, derived from Old High German brätwurst, from brät- which is fine chopped meat and -wurst, sausage. Though the brat in bratwurst describes the way the sausages are made, it is often misconstrued to be derived from the German verb "braten", which means to pan fry or roast. Etymology aside, frying and roasting are far from the most common methods of preparation. Bratwurst is usually grilled and sometimes cooked in broth or beer.

Thanks for the inspiration for research!

sportsfan13 said...

I was actually told this trip that the difference between a "Bratwurtst" and a "Bockwurst" is that the one is fried while the other is boiled. I learned something new. Thank you.