On Sunday, we were invited to my host family`s house for “Kaffee.” My host family is the family I lived with when I was here as an exchange student in 1986. They are a wonderful family who took good care of me and put up with me for a year when I was in High School. I always look forward to spending time with them and I’m always sad when I have to say goodbye. They have traveled twice to California and even made a visit to my classroom. We borrowed wet suits from Herr Snyder and took them waterskiing in March.
“Kaffee” is a important part of German life. Most people stop and have a coffe break around 2:00 pm. Kaffee wouldn’t be complete without a cookie or other sweet. When guests are invited, Kaffee reaches a new level. The table is set with linens and the good dishes. Tea, fruit juices, soft drinks and mineral water are also offered as beverages. Fancy cakes, pastries and cookies are either baked or purchased from the bakery. Guests are served and served and served. I’ve been to Kaffee where four or more different dessert plates were passed around the table. It is a time to relax and visit with friends. We chat, drink Kaffee, eat goodies, chat, eat a piece of the next cake, have a 2nd cup of Kaffee,” Oh that looks lovely too, I’ll have a small piece.” Chat chat, “Ja, ich hätte gern einen Keks. (yes, I would like a cookie.)” etc. If you are invited to Kaffee, set aside several hours and bring your appetite. Germans are much better about slowing down and taking time to build and cultivate relationships.
Today, we sent Kollin off to school with his cousin Lina. She is in the 5. Klasse at the “Realschule.” Heute hat sie vier Stunden: Deutsch, Englisch, Mathe und Sport. Kollin hat Sport gern. Sie schrieben in Mathe einen Test. It is his first day of German school and I sent him off without a Schultüte.
Tomorrow, we will travel by train to visit friends in Holland.
Monday, December 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
School! Kollin going to school? I thought this was vacation in Fresno Unified! Hey, if you get down toward Munich, say "hi" to Augsburg, my birthplace. Looking forward to reading your blog.
Hi Grunberg Family,
We are so glad you sent us your blog...otherwise I'd still be trying to figure out how to spell Frau! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time in Germany! Kaffe sounds wonderful, we are always for an excuse to eat a lot of sweets, drink coffee, and enjoy friends!
Just a side note...Kevin was teasing Megan today about going to a church in Kerman (it was a Sihk temple) and Megan said, "No! I would miss Yana too much; she is my very special friend!"
Enjoy your Christmas holiday!
The Barcelos Family
why is kaffee so important 2 germans?
what would happen if germans didn't have kaffee without all those treats?
By the way the little story of kaffee sounds very interesting.
Post a Comment